If you’re dealing with the devastating loss of a loved one and challenged with handling their estate, you may be considering hiring a probate lawyer in Cumberland County, PA.
What is Probate?
In short, probate is the legal process of closing a deceased person’s estate by selling their assets, paying their debts and necessary taxes, and then distributing the remainder to the proper heirs.
Who Carries Out the Probate Process?
Although Pennsylvania courts oversee the probate process, an estate representative appointed by the courts or listed in the will. If a probate lawyer is hired, they will oversee or handle many of the probate responsibilities for the representative. The estate representative is expected to manage each step in the probate process with care. If they fail to do so, unknowingly or by being negligent, they will be held responsible.
What Does the Probate Process Look Like?
Once the estate representative is determined, they will begin the process, which looks like this:
- Validating the will – A valid will in PA must be written while a person is over the age of 18 and of a sound mind. The will must be in writing and signed; if the will is not notarized (self-proving) then during the probate process, two witnesses or two individuals familiar with the person’s signature need to confirm the signature is legitimate.
- Locating and gathering assets – This includes gathering all assets and accounts and putting them all into one estate account, making it easier to keep track of everything.
- Selling assets – Any money collected from assets that are sold will be deposited into the estate account.
- Communicating with beneficiaries – The estate representative will give the beneficiaries an accounting and the heirs will sign a release that everything has been handled properly.
- Paying inheritance and estate taxes – All taxes will be paid out of the estate account.
- Distribute funds to beneficiaries – All funds will be divided and distributed as directed by the will or Pennsylvania law.
- Notifying that the estate is closed – A final status report will be filed with the County Register of Wills stating that the estate has been concluded.
I’m Looking for a Probate Lawyer Near Me
If you live in Wormleysburg, Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg, Lemoyne, Carlisle, Enola, or anywhere else in Cumberland, Dauphin, York, or Lancaster County, or anywhere else in central Pennsylvania Cherewka Law is your resource for probate. Cherewka law is here to be your will and probate lawyer team.
Why Cherewka Law?
Cherewka Law has been trusted by the Cumberland County, PA community for over 30 years. We specialize in probate proceeding, delivering effective representation and peace of mind. Closing an estate is a huge process, and the last thing you want to deal with is being held personally responsible for a mistake. Our experienced team has various skill sets and are here to ensure a thorough, correct, and smooth probate. Give us a call today to schedule a free consultation at (717) 232-4701.